Tonsillitis is an inflammation of tonsils, and it can be categorized as a disease of respiratory tracts. Despite being a common disease, care should be taken to treat it at an early stage. The Ayurveda provides a treatment for tonsillitis that is not only completely natural, but it's also holistic in nature.
What is tonsillitis?
Tonsils are masses of lymph tissues that are round in shape, and are found on behind the tongue. They prevent the infected or harmful elements from entering the throat. The condition where there is an inflammation of tonsils is known as tonsillitis.
If this condition is allowed to fester, the toxins that get released due to the infection, reach the heart through the bloodstream, thereby toxifying the parts of the heart. The chronic tonsillitis may lead to problems of heart and digestion, rheumatic fever, nephritis etc.
Symptoms and causes of tonsillitis
The different causes of tonsillitis are as follows
- A bacterial or viral infection, such as an infection from Streptococcal Haemolyticus bacteria
- A constant dry cough
- An excess intake of condiments, spices, astringent and pungent food items
- Throat infections that occur repeatedly
- An exposure to cold or heat repeatedly, or intake of cold drinks like iced water
The various symptoms of tonsillitis are listed below
- Enlargement of tonsils
- High fever
- Pain in the ear, especially nearer of infected tonsils
- Soreness of throat, pain on swallowing
- Change in voice, or problem in speaking
The Ayurvedic treatment of Tonsillitis
The Tonsillitis is known as Galaayu in Ayurveda. The recurring inflammation and infections of tonsils are considered by Ayurveda as an indication of illness in the later stages of life. The Ayurvedic treatment of Galaayu or Tonsillitis involves treating and strengthening the immune system to prevent future risk of illness.
Ayurveda considers every individual different and treats them uniquely on the basis of their individual constitution. Ayurveda believes in treating the root cause of an illness to prevent it from striking again. The Ayurvedic treatments of tonsillitis are as follows
- Gargling using purified/saline alum or applying dry Alum powder over the infected area
- Agastya Rasayana is used for treating chronic tonsillitis. It's taken with honey, twice a day for six months
- Keeping the neck covered at all times to keep it warm
- The paste made from the combination of Yashti Madhu, Kulanjana and Vacha powders mixed with honey can be consumed for relief from tonsillitis
- The water boiled with fenugreek seeds can be used to gargle at the earlier stages of the infection
- Keeping the Khadiradi tablet in the mouth and chewing it slowly, six times a day, a be helpful
- Avoiding spicy food, acidic drinks and sour substances like buttermilk and curd
- Boiling Viola Adorate or Banaphsha flower in 50ml of water when only one-third of content remains, it should be mixed with 200ml milk. The mix should be taken hot
Tonsillitis can be cured by taking care of hygiene and resting the throat till the infection is cured, while taking the necessary treatment. Kids should not be allowed to consume food items that can cause inflammation of tonsils, in order to prevent tonsillitis from recurring.
- Munibeyotic tablet: These tablets possess immunomodulatory, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Stimulates phagocytosis. Very useful in upper respiratory tract infections.
- Munistamine tablet and syrup: effective in respiratory disorders. Increases general resistance to infection and acts as a local antiseptic.
- Muniyal lagusoota mishrana
- Geriton leha: for geriatric problems and chronic respiratory symptoms.